Volunteer at the Kimmel Center!
Who can be a volunteer?
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
- Volunteers should be friendly, outgoing, and enjoy working with people
- Volunteers must be willing to commit to at least six months of volunteering
- Volunteers should have an interest in promoting Kimmel Center programs
Apply to be a PIFA Volunteer
PIFA 2013 asks "If you had a time machine?" Would you travel back to your favorite moment in time? Why not volunteer to help guide others along in their journey through time. PIFA Time Attendants are needed throughout the festival month to support activities in the Kimmel Center Plaza.
> Time Attendant Application [102KB PDF opens in new window]
The Street Fair is the culminating event of the spectacular 31-day Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts. On April 27, 2013, the Kimmel Center will close Broad Street for an all-out extravaganza, capturing the magic and mystery of this year's PIFA theme. Volunteers will assist our staff throughout the event, providing customer service and assistance to our guests, vendors, and performance artists.
> Street Fair Application [66KB PDF opens in new window]
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers work primarily in the positions listed below:
- Information Desk Representatives staff the Information Desk in the Kimmel Center lobby, providing information about tours, performances, education programs, dining, and events. Training includes classroom sessions and practice sessions at the information desk. Volunteers must be able to use a computer to access the internet.
- Tour Guides provide free public tours and pre-arranged group tours of the Kimmel Center. Tours are given daily, except Mondays. Tour guides receive training, and successfully conduct a practice tour, prior to becoming a guide. Previous experience in public speaking or tour guiding is helpful. Volunteers must be able to use a computer to access the internet.
- Departmental Assistants work in the Kimmel Center offices during regular business hours. Duties vary and may include clerical assistance, computer entry, phone calls, web research, mailings, and packet preparation. Each department will provide the necessary orientation or training.
- Educational Classroom Assistants help in the Merck Arts Education Center at the Kimmel Center. Assistants greet class groups, provide tours, and monitor classes. Classes are conducted Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings and early afternoons during the school year (October to May). Assistants also help as needed with office projects, special events, and the Summer Teen Arts Camps.
What shifts are available? How often would I be required to work?
Volunteers usually work in three or four hour shifts, several times each month. Volunteers must be willing to work twice a month in order to be considered an active volunteer. Scheduling for tour guides and information desk volunteers is prepared several months in advance. Departmental assistant and education department volunteers are scheduled in an on-call basis, one to two weeks in advance of assignments.
Volunteer Recognition event
What are the benefits of volunteering at the Kimmel Center?
Active volunteers receive discounts on Kimmel Center Presents performances, as well as a discount at Kimmel Center dining facilities. Volunteers also receive the Volunteer Notes newsletter, along with invitations to continuing education programs and the annual volunteer recognition event.
How do I apply?
> Download the Volunteer application [122KB PDF opens in new window]
This application is a "writeable PDF" file. Here are your options for how to submit it:
- Fill out all fields, save it to your computer and email it back to email@example.com
- Mail it to the address listed on the application. You may also fax your application to 215-735-3119.
- Call the Volunteer Services Office and request an application 215-790-5819
Volunteer placement is by interview only. The first step is to complete the application and return it to the Volunteer Services Office. After we receive your application, we will contact you.
Thank you for your interest in Kimmel Center volunteering!